Our third Annual Opportunity Hack will open at 8:00 a.m. on Nov 12th. At Opportunity Hack you can network, share ideas and build solutions that enable impact and social innovation! Come with an idea or join a team that will hack solutions for any of the problem statements listed by our partnering non-profits!
“Economic Empowerment” is the overarching theme for this year’s event with specific focus on the non-profit projects that promote economic empowerment and livelihood projects for underprivileged and weaker sections of the Indian society. NGOs working on any of the below segments can apply by submitting this application form at : http://bit.ly/ohackappchennai2016
We invite problem statements for such projects that include but not limited to the following:
- Financial Literacy / Wellness/ Inclusion supporting the un-banked and underbanked.
- Entrepreneurship Development/ Self Help Groups that help provide better quality of life for underprivileged
- Vocational Skills Training / Higher Education/Livelihood Enhancement projects that help assure a stable financial future for young men and women and persons with disabilities
- Lending / Microfinancing to help uplift citizens out of poverty and improve their quality of life
- Development of Women Empowerment through home based work and promoting gender equality
- Other similar causes that help propel economic status
NGO Application Form: http://bit.ly/ohackappchennai2016
** WE ARE CURRENTLY PLANNING THE DETAILS OF THIS EVENT. SO SOME OF THE BELOW AGENDA ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE **
Check in will be from 8:00 am until 9:00 am and breakfast will be served.
Then the fun begins! Our non-profits will all have an opportunity to pitch their ideas to all the participants. We'll be moving this along quickly so that we can move into team building. You can bring a whole team, but if you don't we're pretty good at facilitating team formation. This is the part of the program that people tend to be the most nervous about, but it all works out. We've done it successfully a bunch of times and we'll make sure you get hooked up.
Please note that the pitch session scheduled to take place at 10:00 am is for only non-profits pitching ideas.
11:30 a.m. It's time to get your Hack On! You have from now until 04:00 p.m. on Sunday !!
We're providing meals and snacks and support around the clock.
3:00 p.m. on Sunday it's time to let the keyboard rest. You'll want to have your prototype and presentation ready for a three minute presentation to the judges with some Q&A. There will be a brief intermission for scoring and then the top teams will be chosen and accolades will flow! This will mark the end of the event and the beginning of the celebration, where we will also provide appropriate supplies.
Saturday (12 Nov 2016)
- 08:00AM: Doors open for check-in
- 09:00AM: Opening ceremony and Keynote Address by Suman Srivastava of Marketing Unplugged
- 10:00AM: Project pitches
- 11:00AM: Team formation
- 11:30AM: The Hackathon begins!
- 01:00PM: Lunch is served
- 02:00PM: Subject Matter Experts available (4 hours)
- 07:00PM: Dinner is served
HACK THROUGH THE NIGHT, FUN, QUIZ, RELAX, WIN PRIZES
Sunday (13 Nov 2016)
- Midnight: Refreshments served
- 08:00AM:Breakfast is served & Subject matter experts available (3 hours)
- Noon: Lunch is served / I can’t think straight but this tastes awesome!
- 02:00PM: Code checked into GitHub
- 03:00PM: Coding ends
- 04:00PM: PPTs submitted to Core Team and GITHUB
- 05:00PM: Judging
- 09:00PM: Winners are announced!
For Questions reach - DL-PayPal-OHackChennai@PayPal.com
As a precursor to the hackathon, we will also be organizing Opportunity Conference, a conference for NGOs on 7th Nov. More details here : https://opportunity-hack-2016-chennai.devpost.com/updates/6155-register-for-opportunity-conference-2016-chennai
$3,600 in prizes
This is a hackathon funded by raising funds and to support our non profits. But we understand prizes are still exciting. The biggest win is really the impact you will have on making the world a better place. Students from winning team will also have a guaranteed internship interview.
One (1) first prize winner for each event: 120000 INR paid in the form of a gift cards or vouchers to the winner, if a team is the winner, divided evenly among up to ten (10) team members. The winning NGO will also win 20000 INR paid in the form of a gift cards or vouchers. Employees of PayPal will be paid through the internal Employee Awards mode.
This is a hackathon funded by raising funds and to support our non profits. But we understand prizes are still exciting. The biggest win is really the impact you will have on making the world a better place. Students from winning team will also have a guaranteed internship interview. One (1) first prize winner for each event: 60000 INR paid in the form of a gift cards or vouchers to the winner, if a team is the winner, divided evenly among up to ten (10) team members. The winning NGO will also win 10000 INR paid in the form of a gift cards or vouchers. Employees of PayPal will be paid through the internal Employee Awards mode.
Best Technical Solution
One team will also win the Best Technical Solution Prize based on feedback from Technical Coaches, an amount of 30000 INR paid in the form of a gift cards or vouchers for this category, if a team is the winner, divided evenly among up to ten (10) team members from the technology team. Employees of PayPal will be paid through the internal Employee Awards mode.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Please see the "Rules" section for complete contest rules including eligibility criteria
- All members of team have registered on DevPost and are added to the project submission.
- Links to GitHub, and video or presentation must be included in project submission.
- At least two members of team will be present in person for demo to judges.
How to enter
- Join Opportunity Hack Chennai on DevPost as a participant
- Come to the event with a team or we will help you build a team of like minded folks.
- Bring your ID cards while you come to the venue. Also bring a lot of enthusiasm and a social mindset
Some Useful Information
1. Will I find parking at the venue ?
Yes, You will have parking in the building during the hack. Please make sure you adhere to the entry guidelines set forth by the security guards
2. What are the plans for food ?
There will be food through the day and night, and adequate refreshments to keep you at the best of your performance :)
3. Is the building accessible to persons with disabilities?
Yes the premises are access friendly. But if you have special needs, do let us know by mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Can I form my own team and come?
You can form teams, but association to NGO will happen during the event
5. Can we form teams less than what's specified by organizers?
It's not permitted. We request that you cooperate with the guidelines set forth by the organizers
6. How will prize money be given?
Please see rules
Founder, NalandaWay Foundation
Founder Director, CEO & MD of Zeus Career & Performance Coach Pvt. Ltd.
Head, Outreach Programs at Cognizant
How big an impact will your solution have on the community? Key things that are important are * Scale of the problem being solved * Potential reach * Productivity gains - 10 points
In order to be successful you need to be able to demonstrate and market your solution so that it can succeed long term– 10 points
Displaying innovative solutions to the problems. Do you solve the problem in a novel way? Can you create a solution that is cohesive across different areas or technologies? - 10 points
Accessible by the Target User Base
It’s crucial that the target user base actually has access to the technology in question. Can you articulate the capabilities and limitations of your userbase? Does your product fit within those capabilities or work around them? - 10 points
The projects need to be able to move from "proof-of-concept" to working project. Is your architecture and technology extendable by others? Can the project be tuned to meet different or changing needs?– 10 points
Open Source Software
Open source solutions allow for a wider variety of contributors to be able to improve, extend and build upon. Does your project leverage open source software or libraries? Is your project in github? – 10 points
Cover all categories
All teams must get atleast 1 point in all the above categories. Getting a 0 in any one category will mean they are not eligible to win